Monday, September 1, 2008

we have touchdown...

As of last Monday, “Captain” Dan Fischer and our trusty producer, PJ Fishwick, have safely and successfully landed in Lima, Peru! Once arrived, they spared no time in transition, immediately teaming up with “Chicle” veterans Maxim Holland and Christian “Chaufa” Bustamante. Check out what the guys said about their first week in the country, the riggers of pre-production, and the job ahead…

Hey guys, how does it feel to be back in Peru, and what have you missed most since your last visit?

PJ: It’s always great to be in a new place. There is always a little culture shock but I think Dan and I hit the ground running and have accomplished much in our first week. I think I speak for Dan as well when I say the thing we were most excited about was the food. Lima is a hotspot for the South American food connoisseur. Chifa, Ceviche, Lomo Saltado and Aji de Gallina. We have been eating our way across town and back.

PJ, you’ve been working in the Chicago film scene for quite some time now, but this will be your first time working with the LoFu crew. What was it about the story or the film that brought you to the project?

PJ:
As you know Dan and I live together back in Chicago. I remember the first time I stumbled across the script for Chicle. It was an old battered copy that had fallen behind the TV. Dan was away at work and I was doing some cleaning at the house. What is this I thought, as a peeled back the dusty tattered cover and began to read. Immediately I was enthralled. In one sitting I read through the entire script, riveted into the couch. When Dan got home I was sitting in the kitchen with the lights off. It was late and as he dropped his bag and turned to me questioningly I said... "what is this." "What?" he asked. As I motioned to the script, which I had retyped and printed to make a new crisp copy, he realized. Silence. "I think its time you did something with this." I said solemnly. Dan was quiet for a minute and turned his back to me. He took a deep breath and raised his hands to his face. "You cleaned behind the TV. I told you never to clean behind the TV." He said. "This is a piece of art, a thing of beauty! You cant just hide it away behind the TV buried in the dust. " I pleaded. "I know!" cried Dan. "I know..." He took a deep breath and poured himself a whiskey. "If we are going to do this thing. We are going to do it together. " We both rose from the table in the darkness and shared a long hug. When we broke the embrace we cried "Chicle" and clasped hands in a jumping high five. And its just been building ever since.
As to working with the lofu crew - I thought they would be taller

Ha ha ha, nice…I appreciate the sarcasm. What kind of activities does the process of “Pre-Production” entail?

PJ:
Production in Peru is different in many ways than much of my experience in Chicago. Dan and I start our day by going to Cafe Z to check our email and communicate with everyone stateside. Day to day it’s been different though much of our time has been filled with meeting the crew who will be working with us in Cusco. Everyone we meet has been really excited about the project and can’t wait to get started. We have been all over Lima looking for camera accessories, hoping to get a matte box and follow focus from Lima though no luck so far, the hunt continues. Today we will be meeting with the gaffer and the makeup artist.

So, what’s next on the agenda?


PJ:
We travel to Cusco on Wednesday and will begin looking for housing for crew and cast as well as begin casting sessions for local Cusquenians.

What are you all looking forward to in the months ahead?

PJ:
I really look forward to seeing the developing relationships between American and Peruvian filmmakers, and cast. I think it is really amazing and interesting to see people from all over the states and Peru coming together for one vision and purpose.

Guys, thanks so much for your time! Keep up the good work and we’ll be sure to check in with you again soon.

No comments: